About The Movement
Be Out There’s mission is to return to the nation’s children what they don’t even know they’ve lost: their connection to the natural world. Kids today spend twice as much time indoors as their parents did, missing out on the simple pleasures and lasting mental and physical health benefits of daily outdoor time.
Be Out There’s practical tools for families, schools and communities will make being outdoors a fun, healthy and automatic part of everyday life. By raising awareness, inspiring behavior change and taking action, Be Out There will help get American children and families back outside—where they belong!
- Organizing National Wildlife Week, Great American Backyard Campout and other exciting Be Out There events for families, schools and communities
- Working with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and other respected medical bodies and professionals to advocate an hour of play per day
- Developing informative and engaging Public Service Announcements (PSAs) help get the message across.
- Commissioning studies to gain deeper understanding of the issue and its societal impacts
Inspiring behavior change:
- Development of national guidelines and training materials to bring natural play and learning areas to schools, parks, child care centers and zoos
- Working with Congress and state legislatures to pass laws and regulations that fund programs that get kids outdoors, and remove red-tape that prevents outdoor educational opportunities
- Successfully advocating for No Child Left Inside Act of 2008, which passed the House of Representatives
- Gathering over 25,000 signatures and the support of 250 national organizations on a petition to urge the Surgeon General to promote the benefits of daily outdoor play
- Encouraging members to call on the Administration and Congress to support federal funding for environmental education and outdoor recreation programs