When Mountain Lions Are Neighbors
Wilderness beats in the heart of California's urban areas. A mountain lion known as P-22 lives in the heart of Los Angeles. Porpoises cavort in San Francisco Bay after a 65 year absence. And on the Facebook campus in Silicon Valley, Mark Zuckerberg and his staff have provided a home for an endearing family of wild gray foxes. A movement of diverse individuals and communities is taking action to recast wildlife as an integral part of our everyday lives. When Mountain Lions Are Neighbors explores this evolving dynamic between humans and animals, including remarkable stories, like how Californians are welcoming wolves back to the state after the incredible journey of wolf OR-7; how park staff and millions of visitors rallied to keep Yosemite's famed bears wild; and many more tales from across the state. Written by Beth Pratt-Bergstrom of the National Wildlife Federation, these inspiring stories celebrate a new paradigm for wildlife conservation: coexistence.
Books will not be available in bookstores or on Amazon until July. Order an advance copy from the National Wildlife Federation today and save 15%!
Published by Heyday Books. Proceeds from the sale of this book directly benefit the National Wildlife Federation's wildlife conservation work in California.
The National Wildlife Federation and Heyday gratefully acknowledge the individuals and organizations whose generous contributions made this publication possible:
- Jon Christensen
- Susan Gottlieb To my husband, Dan, for his amazing generosity and willingness to support Beth's important work.
- David Crosby
- Furthermore: A Program of the JM Kaplan Fund
- Dan & Debbie Gerber
- Annemarie Hoffman I have firsthand experience of Beth's love for and commitment to pikas and all the other natural wonders of Yosemite. Any opportunity we have to create healthy respect for, and cohabitation and cooperate with, the animal world is a moment blessed with grace.
- Jerald & Madelyn Jackrel To Rebecca, for the beauty she shared with us all.
- Charles & Doris Micheals For Marty and Denali Schmidt, who loved nature, the mountains, and wildlife.
- Jeremy Railton
- Steve & Rosemarie Smallcombe
- Jerry Voight & Jean Burke Fordis To Beth, whose commitment to protecting wildlife inspires us each and every day.
William Akel, Kathi & George Colman & Family, Faith Hershiser, Susan Mokelke, Gebhard & Liana Neyer, Wayne & Brooke Schick, Melani Smith, Kim Monday, Christine & Stephan Volker, Lynn Wells
Geneva Adams, Susan Anding, Paula & Jason Archinaco, Katie Ballinger, Diana Barbee, Carolyn Barney Renee Bouche, Annette Catamec, Sandra Chamberlain, Coree Chandler, Adolfo de la Parra, Alice DeLaurier-O'Neil, Pete and Sonni Devine, Tori-Ellen Dileo, Cynthia Dowd, Gordon "Walt" Ehmann, Diane Ellis, Paul Faulstich, Bridget Fithian, Tina Flores, Helene Frakes, Don Gadbois, Janette Gamble, Lauren Gill, Beth Glover, Susan Gonzalez, Ted Guzzi, Michael Hanrahan, Fiona Joy Hawkins, Brandy Hayes, Hildegarde Heidt, Janet Hoben, Charles Hodgkins, Candi Hubert, Florence Jeong, Brad Jones, Christian Kasperkovitz, Jacqueline Keller, Sebastian Kennerknecht, Bruce Kern, Laurie Koc, Bill Leikam, Victor Levine, Lawrence Litvak, Rue Mapp, Jane Medley, Gail Metcalf, Michelle Morro, John Mott, Bob Myers, Chris Nitz, Keymi Ordenana, Richard Peters, Adarsh Raju, Cynthia Ramaciotti, Patricia Ray, Mary Renaker, Kathryn Riley, Robert Rogers, Sacred Rok, Bryan Rulli, Brad Rumble, Jenn Schilling, Pat Sigler, Daniel Skorcz, Angel Sprague, Dana Stangel, Clark Stevens, Georgia Stigall, Tamara Tamburro, Kristin Tieche, Nancy Vandermey, Holly Warner, Marc Weigensberg, Tom Wetherell, Betsy Wood