Higher Education in a Warming World
Higher Education in a Warming World - The Business Case for Climate Leadership on Campus
Highlighting the business, educational, and moral arguments for reducing greenhouse gas emissions on campus, with best practices from U.S. colleges and universities
By David J. Eagan, Julian Keniry and Justin Schott with Praween Dayananda, Kristy Jones and Lisa Madry
This richly detailed guide to climate action at colleges and universities focuses on the numbers -- with examples showing how schools cut emissions, saved money and made a difference. It gives how-to steps for conducting an inventory, creating a plan and leading toward a sustainable future.
This 8-page summary presents the highlights of the full report – Higher Education in a Warming World.
View the list of schools highlighted
in the report
View the media advisory
Read the Executive Summary
Here’s what you’ll find inside . . .
What Climate Science Tells Us
- The 2% per year path; 80% emissions reduction by 2050
Higher Education and the Case for Climate Action
- U.S. higher education: Size, economics and values
- Campus climate footprint: Built space & GHG emissions
- Opportunities for the future: Return on investment, New majors & careers, Increased security
Stepping Up: Strategies for Climate Action
- Establishing institutional commitment
- Building a climate action team
- Conducting a greenhouse gas inventory
- Developing and implementing a climate action plan
Implementing Climate Action Solutions
With case examples on: Energy efficiency, Renewable energy, Fuel switching & cogeneration, Green buildings, Transportation, Renewable energy credits, Campus habitat, Behavior change, Top 5 for a Fast Start.
Financing Climate Action
Including: Performance contracts, Student self-assessed fees, Revolving loan funds, Endowments, and more.
Becoming a Campus Climate Champion
Campus Ecology...It takes a big step to make a smaller footprint.
Get the full report: Higher Education in a Warming World - The Business Case for Climate Leadership on Campus