Eco-School USA Awards
Once your school has registered to participate in Eco-Schools USA and implemented the Seven Steps, you can apply for an Eco-Schools award. There are three levels of the award system: Bronze, Silver and the prestigious Green Flag.
The criteria that make up each of the Seven Steps are assigned point values. As you complete each step, you will gain points toward an award. The points required are as follows:
Bronze Award 100 points
Silver Award 200 points
Green Flag 300 points
To keep track of your school's points, use the login information you received when you registered to access your school's dashboard. As you check off your accomplishments on the award form, the dashboard will display your current points total.
A school can apply for any one of these levels depending on the level of criteria it has met under each of the Seven Steps. Review the Bronze Award Criteria, Silver Award Criteria and Green Flag Award Criteria to determine which stage your school has reached and see if you're ready to apply for an award.
The Bronze and Silver Awards are self-assessed. To achieve a Green Flag, your progress must be assessed by an Eco-Schools USA representative and the award renewed every two years. A school is considered to be a permanent Eco-School once it has gained its fourth Green Flag.
How to Apply for an Award
- Check our interactive map to find out if your school is already registered as an Eco-School. If not, go to our registration page and sign-up! Complete the registration form and click 'submit'.
- If you previously registered as an Eco-School, simply login to access your school's profile.
- On your school's profile page locate the 'submit new form' section. Using the pulldown menu select the award level you would like to apply for and click 'submit'.
- Fill-out the award application and click 'submit'. If the application is only partially completed you can click 'save' and return to it at a later point.
- If the application is successfully entered and all criteria met, your school will be automatically awarded the Eco-Schools USA Bronze or Silver Award. You will be able to download and print a personalized certificate of achievement.
If Applying for a Green Flag...
Once the application is successfully uploaded, your school will receive email confirmation that Eco-Schools USA has received all Green Flag application materials. An integral part of this process requires a site visit by Eco-Schools USA staff, partners, or volunteers. Green Flag applicants will be sent a site visit request form which will need to be completed and returned to Eco-Schools USA.
Savannah Country Day School becomes our first Green Flag school: