Sample Healthy Living Action Plan
- Interpret data from the Healthy Living audit(s).
- Evaluate needs arising from the audit data.
- Provide realistic solutions to these needs.
- Cooperate effectively as a group.
- Physical Education, Science, Mathematics, Social Studies, Citizenship, Environmental Education
Eco-Schools USA Pathways
- Healthy Living, Healthy Schools, Sustainable Food, School Grounds, Transportation
Creating the Action plan
1. Healthy Living audit review
2. Group brainstorming
- In small groups, brainstorm solutions to these issues. Groups can be assigned specific issues to address. Alternatively, all groups can be assigned the same prominent issues to achieve a greater variety of interesting solutions.
- As a team, discuss and agree on the most effective solutions.
- Compile these solutions into a final action plan. See sample plans below, and access a blank action plan here.
- Assign tasks to appropriate individuals within the team and across the school. Agree on realistic timeframes in which tasks should be completed.
3. Execution of tasks
- Set aside time for students to carry out the activities they have assigned themselves and to notify other staff and students of the responsibilities assigned to them.
- Provide training to staff and students for implementing the healthy living campaign.
- Set up the school for success. For example, hold informational meetings for administrators, facilities managers, teachers, parents and other community members to explain the importance of increasing outdoor time and physical activity and to unite everyone behind the cause.
- Set a review date to revisit your action plan as a group. Analyze how far you have come and identify what else you can do.
- Schedule a follow-up Healthy Living audit after a few months to measure the effectiveness of your program.
- Measure the perceived or quantifiable improvements in health that have resulted from the changes you have implemented.
- Add a section on healthy living to your school’s website.
- In regular assemblies, share results, achievements and development plans for the future.
- Prepare a school notice board showing graphs of results and achievements.
- Involve the local press and radio to let everyone know about the school’s healthy living campaign.
- Hold a community event to involve the wider community in learning about and participating in healthy living activities.
- Team up with another school in the area to share ideas.
- Have students develop a database with the help of spreadsheet software to record information, draw graphs and analyze the data.
Sample Healthy Living Action Plans
Outdoor Activity Action Plan (PDF)
Physical Education Action Plan (PDF)
Recess Action Plan (PDF)
Blank Healthy Living Action Plan (Microsoft Word)