Do you dance? Many kinds of animals seem to—when they leap, strut, flap, or flutter, for instance. It may just be funny moves they make. Or it may be a form of communication.
Why Do People Dance?
- It’s a great form of exercise and expression.
- It keeps your mind, as well as your body, fit.
- It’s fun!
Dancing with a Purpose
- Some Native Americans have performed certain dances--to bring rain or success in battle, for example.
- There’s a Brazilian martial art that combines dance with fighting techniques. It’s called Capoeira (kah-poo-AY-rah).
- People have trained horses to perform dance moves for battle. That’s called dressage (druh-SAHZH).
Born to Boogie
Scientists have recently discovered that human babies are born with a sense of rhythm—and show it. Learn more about the relationship between dance and babies.
Bird with a Beat