Calling all Photographers: Enter to Win a Trip to the ‘Polar Bear Capital of the World’
The 44th Annual National Wildlife Photo Contest Opens April 1, 2014
National Wildlife Federation is proud to announce a call for entries for the prestigious 44th annual National Wildlife® Photo Contest opening April 1, 2014. Operated by National Wildlife Federation's award-winning, full-color magazine National Wildlife®, the popular contest celebrates the beauty of nature and raises funds to help the organization act to protect wildlife and wild places. The contest runs from April 1, 2014 through July 14, 2014.
Photographers of all levels of experience are invited to submit images in the juried competition and the popular "People's Choice" Award. There also is a separate Youth division for teenagers ages 13-17.
Winners will see their photos featured in the magazine alongside images by the world’s top nature photographers, as well as on the National Wildlife Federation website and in the organization’s annual calendar. The Grand Prize is an expense-paid trip for two to Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, to see and photograph polar bears. First and second place winners in seven different categories and the Youth division will receive cash prizes—$500 for first place winners and $250 for second place winners.
Photographers can enter their photos into the following categories:
- Baby Animals – Portraits and behavior of young animals of any species.
- Backyard Habitat – Wild creatures, native plants and natural settings in a yard.
- Birds – Portraits and behavior.
- Connecting People and Nature – People enjoying the outdoors.
- Landscapes and Plant Life – Scenic views and native plants in wild settings.
- Mammals – Portraits and behavior.
- Other Wildlife – Portraits and behavior (includes underwater life, reptiles, amphibians, insects, spiders and more)
- Youth Division – Nature and wildlife photos by photographers ages 13-17.
Last year, photographers from all over the world entered more than 32,000 images in the competition, and the public cast more than 640,000 votes online for the "People's Choice" Award.
Entrants may submit 10 photographs per $20 entry fee and can submit 10 additional photos free, if the entry fee is paid by April 30. The entry fee supports National Wildlife Federation’s conservation efforts.