Butterfly, Ant, Beetle …. BUG BINGO!!
Did you know that 8 out of 10 animals on the planet are insects?
Try this fun game with your kids to get to know them better!
Print out these bug bingo games, then head outside with your kids to find as many bugs* as you can. We’ve provided four versions for you, so several children kids can compete.
Bug Bingo Game #1
Bug Bingo Game #2
Bug Bingo Game #3
Bug Bingo Game #4
Before you head out, share these 6 amazing bug facts with your kids:
- Using its jaws, an ant can lift up to 50 times its own weight.
- A cricket’s ears are on its front legs.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- When collecting nectar, a honeybee may visit more than 1,000 flowers each day.
- To reach their winter home in Mexico, some monarch butterflies travel nearly 2,800 miles.
- The largest butterfly—the Queen Alexandra’s birdwing—has a wingspan of nearly one foot.
*Editor’s Note: We’re using the word ‘bug’ to mean any small, crawly creature. Scientists use the word to mean a certain kind of insect with piercing, or stabbing, mouthparts.
Gerry Bishop began writing and taking photos for Ranger Rick magazine in 1971 and has been working for the magazine ever since. He was Editor in Chief of the magazine from 1987 through 2006 and is now writing and editing from his home in Charlottesville, Virginia. His favorite hobbies are taking photos of nature, gardening for wildlife, and exploring mountains and other wild places.
Get Outdoors with Your Family