Craig Tufts’ Educational Scholarship Fund
& Family Nature Summits
The family of Craig Tufts, Family Summits, Inc. and National Wildlife Federation announces the 6th Annual Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Award, which is given to a young person between the ages of 8 and 18 to attend a week-long summer outdoor educational adventure camp with a parent or guardian.
The Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Craig Tufts, Chief Naturalist of National Wildlife Federation.
Each year the Fund grants an award to one youth to attend a Family Nature Summit. The Fund provides travel, room and board and program fees for the award winner and an accompanying parent or guardian.
June 27-July 3, 2015 Great Smoky Mountains Family Nature Summit at Lake Junaluska Conference & Retreat Center, Lake Junaluska, North Carolina.
For more information, visit www.familysummits.org
Call for Applications
Who May Apply: Anyone between the ages of 8 and 18
How to Apply: Applicant will submit an original essay that addresses the following:
Each essay MUST …
- What are your favorite outdoor or nature-related activities?
- Describe a memorable nature-related experience and the impact it had on you.
- Describe any experience or experiences you may have had that involved studying or protecting wildlife or the environment.
- What do you hope to gain from the Family Summit program and how do you expect it to help you have a positive impact on your local environment or community?
- Describe how you would share your experience with others.
- Be accompanied by application form.
- Be written by the applicant (not a parent or guardian)
- Be no more than three pages, double-spaced (about 750 words)
- Be typed in a 12-point font or legibly handwritten
- Include page number and applicant’s name on each page
Applications may be submitted via
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. E.S.T. on Friday, March 20, 2015, for consideration.
Who was Craig Tufts?
Craig worked for the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) for 33 years as Chief Naturalist. He was excited about everything living and understood a tremendous amount about the natural world around him, no matter where he was. Being with Craig on a walk was like having a guide beside you. Craig was always happy to point things out to anyone and was just as excited to see something for the fiftieth time as he was to see it for the first time.
What is the Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Fund?
The Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Fund continues Craig’s legacy, replicating the spark he provided for so many with his extensive knowledge of and appreciation for the natural world. The Fund finances an annual award that recognizes an individual between the ages of 8 and 18 who displays an interest in the natural world, aiming to foster that interest and encourage a lifelong path of environmental study. The Fund provides an opportunity for a young person to experience NWF’s mission of inspiring individuals of all ages to care about and protect wildlife and wildlife habitat.
How can I Contribute to this Scholarship Fund?
If you wish to make a memorial contribution, please consider this fund as a way of carrying on Craig's legacy. Donations can be made at www.nwf.org/CraigTuftsFund or sent to:
National Wildlife Federation
Attn: Craig Tufts Educational Scholarship Fund
11100 Wildlife Federation Drive
Reston, VA 20190