Oil Spill News and Blogs
Stay up-to-date with what's happening with the BP Oil Spill response, cleanup and surveillance.
National Wildlife Federation News Sources
Oil Spill News Articles
- Hill Ads Praise 76 Senators for Passing Gulf Restoration Amendment
- Gulf Ads Thank Gulf Senators for Passing Gulf Restoration Amendment
- Groups Hail Senate Passage of Transportation Bill With Gulf Restoration Amendment
- Vanishing Paradise Hails Senate Passage of RESTORE Act on Transportation Bill
- RESTORE Act a Victory for Gulf’s Ecosystems and Economy
- Gulf Groups Hail Senate Passage Of Gulf Restoration Amendment
- RESTORE Act needs support from a distance now
- National Sportsmen’s Groups to Congress: ‘Restore Mississippi River Delta and Gulf Coast Now’
- BP Profits Highlight Need for Congress to Pass RESTORE Act
- RESTORE Act critical to helping Gulf Coast in aftermath of Gulf oil disaster
- Gulf “Dead Zone" Projected to be One of the Largest on Record - In the wake of the oil disaster and historically high waters in the Mississippi River, researchers measure an ever-growing dead zone
- Gulf Senators Praised for Cosponsoring Bill to Restore Gulf - Bill dedicates oil spill fines to restore Gulf communities, economies & ecosystems
- Sportsmen To Congress: Use Oil Spill Fines to Restore the Gulf - Outdoor industry leaders urged Congress to dedicate Clean Water Act penalties to restoration
- Proposed Drilling Operations in Cuba Threaten the Gulf of Mexico - As the Gulf struggles to recover, Cuba rushes to jumpstart deepwater drilling
- Federal Scientists Point to Shrimpers in Many Turtle Deaths - Emails reveal that shrimping vessels operating in the wake of the oil spill routinely failed to properly install “turtle excluder devices.”
- Deepwater Sharks May Hold Answer to Oil-Contaminated Seafood - As tainted fishing areas reopen, scientists think big to assess oil contamination in Gulf seafood
- Has Oil Fouled Up the Gulf's Filtering System? - A study examines the effects of the oil disaster on the water filtering sponges of the Gulf's reefs
- NWF Spotlights Restoration Efforts At One Year Mark of Gulf Oil Disaster - Through grants and volunteer effort, projects help rebuild habitat on the Gulf Coast
- One Year Into Oil Disaster, Promise to Restore Gulf Remains Unfulfilled - “The oil is still here, the promises are forgotten, and Congress still hasn't done its job”
- New NWF Report: Gulf’s Wildlife and Wetlands Vulnerable without Restoration - Status of Sea Turtles, Tuna, Wetlands seen as "Poor"
- Restoration To Aid Oyster Fisheries Fight for Survival - Study to guide restoration of the world's most devastated estuarine habitats
- Is Gulf Seafood Safe to Eat? - High-tech analyses look for oil contamination in Gulf food webs and fisheries
- NWF Takes Part in Rescued Sea Turtle Release - Emmy-winning writer Rick Cleveland joins NWF oil spill response volunteer effort
- Marine Life Artist Wyland Revisits Areas Hit Hard by Oil Spill - "In many people's minds, the oil is gone. But I can assure you, it's not."
- Unraveling a Mystery in the Gulf - NWF flyover finds discolorations in Chandeleur Sound
- Scientists Call for Full Disclosure of Gulf Oil Disaster Data, End of Confidentiality Agreements - Letter presses for release of wildlife impacts in conjunction with FOIA request on bird deaths
- Report Recommends Steps to Rebuild the Gulf - BP must make $5 billion down payment for natural resource damages, report says
- Top Outdoor Writers Tour BP Oil Spill Disaster - NWF and DU host media tour to raise awareness and support for the critical funding and policy response needed to restore the Gulf Coast
- From the Gulf to the Bay, Oyster Industry Suffers - Spill-caused oyster shortages in Louisiana drive up prices, create hardships for Chesapeake Bay businesses
- Imagine Your Life Covered in Oil - The story behind NWF's new oil spill PSA
- Oil Spill Surveillance Teams Report Back from Gulf - NWF volunteers scour Gulf Coast to identify oil spill impacts
- Spill Imperils Native American Fishing Village - "This is the first time we face an uncertain future."
- Oil Spill Casts Dark Shadow over Louisiana’s Fishing Community - Anxiety grows as fishing closures increase due to spill
- Oil Spill Threatens the Way of Life for Louisiana's 'Islenos' Community - How the BP Oil Spill Disaster threatens Louisiana's people and their traditions
- Americans Donate Generously to Help People, Wildlife Impacted by BP Oil Spill - Telethon raises more than $1.8 million to aid victims in the Gulf of Mexico
- Scotts Songbird Selections Donates $50,000 to National Wildlife Federation Oil Spill Cleanup Efforts - Matching Donation Challenge Issued to Americans
- NWF Visits Oiled Bird Rehabilitation Center - "I felt a mix of sadness, guilt and anger"
- NWF Naturalist Reports from Oil Spill Ground Zero - As President Obama prepares to address the nation on the BP oil spill, NWF continues its on-the-ground effort to monitor and report oil spill impacts
- Wildlife Photographer Joins NWF Volunteer Effort to Monitor Oil Spill Impacts - "To watch these birds struggle with their last breath being filled with oil has outraged me to no end"
- Every Little Bit Helps - Ohio elementary school students raise money to help wildlife hurt by oil spill<>
- BP Oil Spill: "Words Like 'Tragedy' and 'Disaster' Do Not Do Justice to What is Happening" - NWF scientist Doug Inkley gives an eyewitness account of how the oil spill is impacting wildlife in the Gulf
- Dolphin, Sea Turtle Deaths Only the Tip of the Iceberg - Oil spill impacts below the ocean's surface remain unseen
- Elmer's Island: A bittersweet Story of Triumph and Loss - The story of Elmer's Island is a glimpse at the kind of loss the people, places and wildlife of Louisiana are suffering.
- NWF Tours Louisiana Nesting Grounds Hit hard by BP Oil Spill - Visible effects on wildlife increase as oil from the spill makes its way onto Louisiana's shores
- Obama Must Act Now to Reel in Regulators on Drilling - As BP oil spill continues to gush, permits are still flowing for even riskier and deeper wells
- BP Oil Spill: One Month and Counting - A look back at the last month’s events and the spill’s impacts to date
- BP Can't Be Left in Charge of Gulf Coast Crime Scene - Coalition asks Obama to take over key parts of spill response
- BP Spill Potentially Grows to Hundreds of Millions of Gallons of Toxic Soup - "It increasingly looks like the dispersants that BP has been pouring into the Gulf of Mexico has formed a toxic mixture of oil, chemicals and water"
- BP Oil Spill Draws Thousands of Concerned Sportsmen to Virtual Town Hall - Hunters and anglers concerned about ecological and wildlife impacts
- NWF Eyewitness Account - "I was not prepared for what we found"
- Help Save Wildlife Affected by BP Oil Spill - NWF and Partners Launch Second-Fastest Mobile Text2Give Campaign in History Read Full Story
- NWF Tours Critical Wildlife Areas Threatened by Advancing BP Oil Spill - Reporters join NWF CEO on boat tour of Louisiana's wetlands Read Full Story
- As Gulf Oil Spill Worsens, NWF Urges Reassessment of America's Energy Priorities - President Obama suspends new offshore drilling leases
- NWF Responds to Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - Tragic oil spill off the Louisiana coast is a stark reminder that oil and gas exploration and drilling bring with them inherent environmental and human risks
National Wildlife Articles
Subscribe to NWF's YouTube Channel
Back to Oil Spill Home