Photo Contest Home
Ghost Orchid
Photographer: Brian Call
Location: Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park, Florida
Story: 
Rather than taking a close up photograph of the uniquely shaped flower of this rare ghost orchid, my vision was to photograph the ghost in its immediate surroundings in order to help illustrate a better sense of its environment. The ghost orchid clung to one of several pop ash trees pictured here. Biologists usually find ghosts on pop ash trees about 80% of the time that they find the state listed endangered plants in the swamp. The rest of the 20% are found on pond apple trees. On rare occasions, they have been found on cypress trees.
Digital Alterations: 
Several sequential and overlapping images were taken and then carefully put together in Photoshop using layers and
Camera Information: Nikon D7000 and Nikon 80-400 VR Lens, Nikon SB 80 Flash. Camera set on Manfrotto Tripod and Manfrotto Tilt and Pan Head.
Special Equipment: