There are some very weird birds in this world! The kakapo is one.
Check out these fast facts about it:
- It's a bird, but it can't fly.
- It's the heaviest parrot in the world, but it doesn't talk or squawk.
It sleeps all day and comes out only at night.
- It lives mostly alone.
- It's a good climber and uses its wings for balance.
- It lives to a ripe old age, for a bird--more than 60 years old.
- This big parrot is found only in New Zealand.
- It's very, very endangered. There are only about 86 kakapos left.
- Some people are working hard to help save kakapos.
Log on and listen up! You can hear the "boom" and "ching" calls of the male kakapos at this Web site. When scientists hear these calls, it's a good sign that the birds will breed and raise new chicks
Find out even more about these amazingly rare birds by checking out these Web sites: http://www.kakaporecovery.org.nz/index.php and http://www.kcc.org.nz/birds/kakapo.asp