It's that time of year and for the 2017-2018 school year, we are offering our top 10 tips as inspiration to help kick off your National Wildlife Federation Eco-Schools USA program.
1. Take a minute to congratulate yourself and your students for being a part of the oldest and largest green schools program in the world! There are 62 countries and over 50,000 schools who participate in Eco-Schools just like you.
2. Update your NWF Eco-Schools USA Dashboard. This is a great tool for sharing information with your students, staff, parents and the local school community. Enter your goals for the year, and make sure all your profile information is current, including your county and school district.
3. Add Badges to your Dashboard. We’ve updated the dashboard to include badges for Schoolyard Habitats®, The GLOBE Program, and the U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award.
4. Host a Back-to-School Clean-Up Day. Take advantage of the fall weather to hold an outdoor event, or incorporate a recycling awareness campaign into an existing school event like a fall carnival, sporting event or Back-to-School/Meet-the-Teacher Night. It’s a perfect way to inspire students to incorporate sustainability into their everyday lives.
5. Get Your School Garden Ready. This can be a part of a clean-up event or institute Weeding Wednesdays for a month to get the garden back in shape for those fall plants and vegetables.
6. Incorporate the School District’s Strategic Goals in Your Sustainability Efforts. Is your school district participating in a Farm to School program? Can energy & water reduction impact the overall school budget? Have students investigate the bigger goals of the school district regarding sustainability and use that evidence when the Eco-Action Team chooses their next pathway.
7. Check Out Our Green STEM Resources. We recently added several new resources to our “Green STEM” web page, including a Green STEM Project Design Template and links to activities and resources for grades K-12.
8. Reach out to the NWF Eco-Schools USA Team. Are you close to your next award level but not sure how to get there? Do you have an inspiring story you want to share with other Eco-Schools? We are here to help, so feel free to email us.
9. Add Your Name to our NWF Eco-Schools USA Mailing List. We send out one or two messages a month, with the latest news, resources, and free training opportunities along with a link to our online newsletter.
Place your order today for the themed box that delivers everything you need to create family memories while discovering nature and wildlife.Read More
A new report illustrates how congressional inaction threatens sportsmen, wildlife, and communities.Read More
Showcase the impact of habitat gardens! Submit your photographs now through October 12.Read More
Methane is one of the primary components of natural gas, and a superpollutant that threatens wildlife by speeding up the pace of climate change.Read More
You don't have to travel far to join us for an event. Attend an upcoming event with one of our regional centers.