It's that time of year and for the 2017-2018 school year, we are offering our top 10 tips as inspiration to help kick off your National Wildlife Federation Eco-Schools USA program.
1. Take a minute to congratulate yourself and your students for being a part of the oldest and largest green schools program in the world! There are 62 countries and over 50,000 schools who participate in Eco-Schools just like you.
2. Update your NWF Eco-Schools USA Dashboard. This is a great tool for sharing information with your students, staff, parents and the local school community. Enter your goals for the year, and make sure all your profile information is current, including your county and school district.
3. Add Badges to your Dashboard. We’ve updated the dashboard to include badges for Schoolyard Habitats®, The GLOBE Program, and the U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award.
4. Host a Back-to-School Clean-Up Day. Take advantage of the fall weather to hold an outdoor event, or incorporate a recycling awareness campaign into an existing school event like a fall carnival, sporting event or Back-to-School/Meet-the-Teacher Night. It’s a perfect way to inspire students to incorporate sustainability into their everyday lives.
5. Get Your School Garden Ready. This can be a part of a clean-up event or institute Weeding Wednesdays for a month to get the garden back in shape for those fall plants and vegetables.
6. Incorporate the School District’s Strategic Goals in Your Sustainability Efforts. Is your school district participating in a Farm to School program? Can energy & water reduction impact the overall school budget? Have students investigate the bigger goals of the school district regarding sustainability and use that evidence when the Eco-Action Team chooses their next pathway.
7. Check Out Our Green STEM Resources. We recently added several new resources to our “Green STEM” web page, including a Green STEM Project Design Template and links to activities and resources for grades K-12.
8. Reach out to the NWF Eco-Schools USA Team. Are you close to your next award level but not sure how to get there? Do you have an inspiring story you want to share with other Eco-Schools? We are here to help, so feel free to email us.
9. Add Your Name to our NWF Eco-Schools USA Mailing List. We send out one or two messages a month, with the latest news, resources, and free training opportunities along with a link to our online newsletter.
The crisis isn't just a global problem—we're facing it in our own backyards. Meet some of the species that are already seeing an impact.Read More
President and CEO Collin O’Mara reveals in a TEDx Talk why it is essential to connect our children and future generations with wildlife and the outdoors—and how doing so is good for our health, economy, and environment.Watch Now
What's on deck with the National Wildlife Federation? Check out our scheduled events—we just might be coming to a city near you!See Events
Place your order today for the themed box that delivers everything you need to create family memories while discovering nature and wildlife.Learn More
You don't have to travel far to join us for an event. Attend an upcoming event with one of our regional centers.