Congratulations to the following winners:
First Place: United States Military Academy (600+ votes!)
Second Place: University of Akron
Third Place: University of Knoxville, TN
Runners Up: University of Missouri, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Winner: Virginia Tech
The judges were impressed with the overall idea to combine the tried-and-true “Caught Green Handed” promotion with the “selfie” phenomenon, as well as with the case study write-up itself. Virginia Tech demonstrated creative use of social media and clearly demonstrated the planning, execution, and results of their “Caught Green Handed Twist” through concise yet thorough writing and helpful visuals.
Judge’s Prize: University of Alberta
The “Tough Guys” videos produced for University of Alberta were the result of careful planning and research, which were outlined thoroughly in the case study report. The integration of sustainability education into the school’s orientation program was comprehensive, and the video itself was compelling, educational, and entertaining.
• University of Missouri
• Radford University
• Morehead State University
• Saint Louis University
• Pacific Lutheran University
2014 RecycleMania and National Wildlife Federation Case Study and Photo Contest Information
RecycleMania is partnering with National Wildlife Federation’s EcoLeaders program to recognize colleges and universities that stage creative and effective RecycleMania awareness campaigns. RecycleMania schools are encouraged to submit photos and brief case studies detailing an activity, display, or other efforts to promote RecycleMania during the first half of the competition. The best case studies and photos will receive a special award and national recognition through National Wildlife Federation and RecycleMania.
How It Works
We want to hear how you’re promoting RecycleMania and raising awareness about waste reduction at your school. More important, we want to share your success with coordinators at other schools to help them improve their outreach going forward. To participate:
1. Register your school for RecycleMania.
2. Plan and implement your promotional outreach campaign.
3. Choose a single event, activity, display, set of posters or other promotion (as opposed to detailing an overall campaign of multiple, distinct events or promotions) that you’re particularly proud of and submit a case study using the template provided below detailing what you did and how it went by March 12, 2014.
4. Schools can also submit photos either with a case study or by themselves to be judged for a separate award; photos are due on March 12, 2014.
How Are the Winners Chosen?
Case Studies: A judging committee organized by RecycleMania and the National Wildlife Federation will select the best case study.
Photos: RecycleMania coordinators and participants will be invited to vote online for their favorite photo during the week of March 24–31, 2014.
All submitted case studies and photos will be featured on the RecycleMania and the National Wildlife Federation's EcoLeaders websites.
Winners of both contests will be announced on April 2, 2014.
Recognition for the Winners
• Case study featured on the RecycleMania and EcoLeaders websites
• An award certificate for the school
• Photo and case study winner recognized in national RecycleMania press release
• Photo and case study winner recognized at session at Portland AASHE Conference
• Photo featured on RecycleMania homepage for the following year
• $100 gift card will be awarded to the case study and photo winners (two gift cards in total will be awarded)
Case Study Judging Criteria
Submissions will be ranked between zero and the maximum points shown for each category based on how well they address the given criteria. Case studies should be submitted using the template provided.
• Creativity (10 points): The promotion was original or was done with a creative, original twist.
• Transferability (10 points): How easily could the promotion be replicated at other schools; planning steps are clearly explained for others to replicate.
• Results (10 points.): What impact did the promotion have? How well is the case study able to quantify the number of people the promotion reached, measured quantity of materials recycled or reduced, etc.
• Detailed and Concise (5 points): Case study communicates the important details that allow readers to understand what happened in a concise way.
• Photos or other Creative Materials (5 points): Photos, digital examples of creative materials or written outreach messaging related to the promotion are provided. Photos are credited for the case study competition separately from the Photo judging competition.
Photo Judging Criteria
• Captures the Subject (10 points): Photo effectively shows the promotion in such a way that viewers can recognize and understand what is involved.
• People and Activity (10 points): The best photos will show people actively involved with the promotion.
• Photo Composition (10 points): Good lighting, subject is well framed in the photo, good perspective, etc.
• Extra Credit (3 points): High-resolution photos (300 dpi) will receive bonus points.
Additional Requirements for Photos—File Format and Image Release Form
JPG files are the preferred format for submission. And all photos must be submitted with an image release form. The image release form requires the name of the photographer, names of people in the photo, caption explaining the photo, and other information and gives the National Wildlife Federation and ReycleMania permission to use the photo(s) for current and future educational and promotional purposes. Download the Image Release Form.
RECAP OF IMPORTANT INFO:
Case Study and Photo Submissions are due by March 12, 2014.
Both case study and photo submissions should be submitted as attachments by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Case Study (Photo) Competition – (School Name).All photos require an image release form.
Download the Case Study Template here.
Winners will be announced on April 2, 2014
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Give today to support our work protecting polar bears, bison, and many more at-risk species.Donate
Give the gift that arrives year-round: ANY subscription to Ranger Rick for 60% off. FREE Stripes the Tiger music video!Subscribe
Symbolically adopt a species to help ensure wildlife thrive for future generations.Adopt Today
Place your order today for the themed box that delivers everything you need to create family memories while discovering nature and wildlife.Read More
You don't have to travel far to join us for an event. Attend an upcoming event with one of our regional centers.