Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Items Committed for 2021
- Launch or maintain a public communication effort to encourage residents to plant monarch gardens at their homes or in their neighborhoods. (If you have community members who speak a language other than English, we encourage you to also communicate in that language; Champion Pledges must communicate in that language.)
- Engage with city parks and recreation, public works, sustainability, and other relevant staff to identify opportunities to revise and maintain mowing programs and milkweed / native nectar plant planting programs.
- Issue a Proclamation to raise awareness about the decline of the monarch butterfly and the species’ need for habitat.
- Host or support a native seed or plant sale, giveaway or swap.
- Plant or maintain a monarch and pollinator-friendly demonstration garden at City Hall or another prominent or culturally significant community location.
- Add or maintain native milkweed and nectar producing plants in community gardens.
- Display educational signage at monarch gardens and pollinator habitat.
- Change ordinances so herbicides, insecticides, or other chemicals used in the community are not harmful to pollinators.
- Change weed or mowing ordinances to allow for native prairie and plant habitats.
- Increase the percentage of native plants, shrubs and trees that must be used in city landscaping ordinances and encourage use of milkweed, where appropriate.