Friday, March 3, 2023
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
Members of the Scouts and Congregational Church preparing a pollinator pallet garden for empty hillside. They successfully grew flowers, herbs and vegetables to supplement the offerings of the community cupboard that serves families from four towns.
Filling the Pallets
Scouts at work preparing the pallets for seedlings.
Herbs and flowers
Some of the initial results
Flowers in bloom
These annuals bordered the church parking lot and attracted bees and butterflies.
Through the efforts of the Conservation Commission-posters developed for posting at various town-owned woodland/trail properties as an educational initiative. These were also on display at the annual town picnic event in August.
Students from the elementary school participated in this coloring event and this art was displayed at Celebrate Southampton, the town's annual picnic and activity event in the local park.
Action Items Committed for 2023
- Issue a Proclamation to raise awareness about the decline of the monarch butterfly and the species’ need for habitat.
- Engage with community garden groups and urge them to plant native milkweeds and nectar-producing plants.
- Plant or maintain a monarch and pollinator-friendly demonstration garden at City Hall or another prominent or culturally significant community location.
- Host or support a native seed or plant sale, giveaway or swap.
- Integrate monarch butterfly conservation into the city’s Park Master Plan, Sustainability Plan, Climate Resiliency Plan or other city plans.
Past Pledge Archive
|Mayor Name||Program Year||Pledge Date||Achievement|
|Select Board Chair Christine Fowles||2023||3/3/2023||View Pledge|
|Select Board Chair Christine Fowles||2022||4/6/2022||Signatories||View Pledge|
|Chair, Selectboard Maureen Groden||2021||4/18/2021||Signatories||View Pledge|