Friday, March 24, 2023
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
Action Items Committed for 2023
- Issue a Proclamation to raise awareness about the decline of the monarch butterfly and the species’ need for habitat.
- Launch or maintain a public communication effort to encourage residents to plant monarch gardens at their homes or in their neighborhoods. (If you have community members who speak a language other than English, we encourage you to also communicate in that language; Champion Pledges must communicate in that language.)
- Display educational signage at monarch gardens and pollinator habitat.
- Earn or maintain recognition for being a wildlife-friendly city by participating in other wildlife and habitat conservation efforts (i.e., National Wildlife Federation’s Community Wildlife Habitat program).
- Launch or maintain an outdoor education program(s) (e.g., at schools, after-school programs, community centers and groups) that builds awareness and creates habitat by engaging students, educators, and the community in planting native milkweed and pollinator-friendly native nectar plants (i.e., National Wildlife Federation’s Eco-Schools USA Schoolyard Habitats program and Monarch Mission curriculum).
- Plant or maintain a monarch and pollinator-friendly demonstration garden at City Hall or another prominent or culturally significant community location.
- Host or support a native seed or plant sale, giveaway or swap.
- Change ordinances so herbicides, insecticides, or other chemicals used in the community are not harmful to pollinators.
- Integrate monarch butterfly conservation into the city’s Park Master Plan, Sustainability Plan, Climate Resiliency Plan or other city plans.
- Direct city property managers to consider the use of native milkweed and nectar plants at city properties where possible.
- Change weed or mowing ordinances to allow for native prairie and plant habitats.
- Remove milkweed from the list of noxious plants in city weed / landscaping ordinances (if applicable).
Past Pledge Archive
|Mayor Name||Program Year||Pledge Date||Achievement|
|Mayor Lisa Larsen||2023||3/24/2023||View Pledge|
|Mayor Courtney Shipley||2022||3/28/2022||Signatories||View Pledge|