Friday, February 10, 2023
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
Action Items Committed for 2023
- Launch or maintain a public communication effort to encourage residents to plant monarch gardens at their homes or in their neighborhoods. (If you have community members who speak a language other than English, we encourage you to also communicate in that language; Champion Pledges must communicate in that language.)
- Engage with community garden groups and urge them to plant native milkweeds and nectar-producing plants.
- Engage with city parks and recreation, public works, sustainability, and other relevant staff to identify opportunities to revise and maintain mowing programs and milkweed / native nectar plant planting programs.
- Host or support a native seed or plant sale, giveaway or swap.
- Facilitate or support a milkweed seed collection and propagation effort.
- Add or maintain native milkweed and nectar producing plants in community gardens.
- Launch, expand, or continue an invasive species removal program that will support the re-establishment of native habitats for monarch butterflies and other pollinators.
- Display educational signage at monarch gardens and pollinator habitat.
- Change ordinances so herbicides, insecticides, or other chemicals used in the community are not harmful to pollinators.
- Increase the percentage of native plants, shrubs and trees that must be used in city landscaping ordinances and encourage use of milkweed, where appropriate.
- Direct city property managers to consider the use of native milkweed and nectar plants at city properties where possible.
- Integrate monarch butterfly conservation into the city’s Park Master Plan, Sustainability Plan, Climate Resiliency Plan or other city plans.
- Adopt ordinances that support reducing light pollution.
Past Pledge Archive
|Mayor Name||Program Year||Pledge Date||Achievement|
|Selectboard, Chair Todd Frederick||2023||2/10/2023||View Pledge|