Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
A Sanctuary for Monarchs
A Sanctuary for Monarch Butterflies was born in Pflugerville. https://parks.pflugervilletx.gov/Home/Components/News/News/8150/1065?backlist=%2FLearn More
Action Items Committed for 2023
- Issue a Proclamation to raise awareness about the decline of the monarch butterfly and the species’ need for habitat.
- Engage with gardening leaders and partners (e.g., Master Naturalists, Master Gardeners, Nature Centers, Native Plant Society Chapters , other long-standing and influential community leaders) to support monarch butterfly conservation.
- Engage with city parks and recreation, public works, sustainability, and other relevant staff to identify opportunities to revise and maintain mowing programs and milkweed / native nectar plant planting programs.
- Engage with community garden groups and urge them to plant native milkweeds and nectar-producing plants.
- Launch or maintain a public communication effort to encourage residents to plant monarch gardens at their homes or in their neighborhoods. (If you have community members who speak a language other than English, we encourage you to also communicate in that language; Champion Pledges must communicate in that language.)
- Display educational signage at monarch gardens and pollinator habitat.
- Host or support a monarch butterfly festival that is accessible to all residents in the community and promotes monarch and pollinator conservation, as well as cultural awareness and recognition.
- Launch, expand, or continue an invasive species removal program that will support the re-establishment of native habitats for monarch butterflies and other pollinators.
- Add or maintain native milkweed and nectar producing plants in community gardens.
- Initiate or support community science (or citizen science) efforts that help monitor monarch migration and health.
- Plant milkweed and pollinator-friendly native nectar plants in medians and public rights-of-way.
- Plant or maintain a monarch and pollinator-friendly demonstration garden at City Hall or another prominent or culturally significant community location.
- Facilitate or support a milkweed seed collection and propagation effort.
- Host or support a native seed or plant sale, giveaway or swap.
- Change weed or mowing ordinances to allow for native prairie and plant habitats.
Past Pledge Archive
|Mayor Name||Program Year||Pledge Date||Achievement|
|Mayor Victor Gonzales||2023||12/13/2022||View Pledge|
|Mr. Victor Gonzales||2022||1/4/2022||Leadership Circle||View Pledge|
|Mr. Victor Gonzales||2021||2/25/2021||Leadership Circle||View Pledge|