Friday, February 25, 2022
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
Perennial plants outgrow annuals in Normal
Landscape beds in Normal's parks and at many municipal facilities were comprised primarily of annual flower beds. Horticulturalists have converted most of these beds to perennial pollinators. The revisions should be completed by the summer of 2023.
Underwood Park and Vernon Avenue planted
Native grasses and prairie pollinators were successfully planted at Underwood Park and at Vernon Avenue along the Constitution Trail. Staff was excited that the first year establishment exceeded expectations. More to come.
Maxwell Park Disc Golf Course
The installation of the newly designed disc golf course in Maxwell Park will allow for the establishment of additional native pollinators. Plans are for milkweed and other wild flowers to be planted within the tall grass areas on the course.
Action Items Committed for 2022
- Engage with city parks and recreation, public works, sustainability, and other relevant staff to identify opportunities to revise and maintain mowing programs and milkweed / native nectar plant planting programs.
- Launch, expand, or continue an invasive species removal program that will support the re-establishment of native habitats for monarch butterflies and other pollinators.
- Add or maintain native milkweed and nectar producing plants in community gardens.
- Plant milkweed and pollinator-friendly native nectar plants in medians and public rights-of-way.
- Direct city property managers to consider the use of native milkweed and nectar plants at city properties where possible.