Wednesday, February 15, 2023
Links and UploadsView Links and Uploads
Action Item Report
Mission: Save the Monarch
Loss of habitat and use of herbicides has greatly decreased Covington's numbers in Monarch butterflies, so the City joined many others in a widespread push organized by the National Wildlife Federation to reverse the downward trend.Learn More
Action Items Committed for 2023
- Engage with city parks and recreation, public works, sustainability, and other relevant staff to identify opportunities to revise and maintain mowing programs and milkweed / native nectar plant planting programs.
- Display educational signage at monarch gardens and pollinator habitat.
- Launch, expand, or continue an invasive species removal program that will support the re-establishment of native habitats for monarch butterflies and other pollinators.
- Add or maintain native milkweed and nectar producing plants in community gardens.
- Plant or maintain a monarch and pollinator-friendly demonstration garden at City Hall or another prominent or culturally significant community location.